Friday, April 25, 2008

Georgia O'Keefe Contest....














After receiving my very first sock club kit ever and stopped drooling over it, I went and checked out all of the many beautiful paintings by Georgia O'Keefe. How difficult it was to select just one! I can totally understand the fascination with her selection of colors and subjects used in her art. The colors were perfectly captured with the awesome yarn we received this month! Oh, how hard it is to select just one painting...

However, there was one that called out to me and reminded me of a beautiful Kansas day from last summer. I was attending a Hackamore Clinic given by the very talented Jerry Wright. I, of course, was riding the most beautiful bay Quarter Horse in the world, my Captain Bell Peppy.

Jerry's wife Edye, is a professional photographer and was struck by the relationship that Pep and I share and asked if she could take some photos of us during one of the breaks. How could I turn down an offer like that?!

It just so happened that the Sunflowers were blooming along with some Black Eyed Susans and she snapped one picture while we were in the field with them in the foreground.

To this day, it is one of my favorite pictures and I have an 8x10 on my nightstand at home (much to my husband's dismay because there are pictures of Pep everywhere!) and also in my office. That isn't counting the ones that I sent to all of my family in the Christmas cards last year. And did I mention that I also carry that particular picture in my wallet so that I can show anyone who will still humor me by looking at yet another picture of my beautiful horse?!!

I have attached the picture to this post so that you may see why Georgia O'Keefe's Sunflower brought back the warmth of the sun on my face, the soft (for a change!) Kansas breeze in my hair and Pep's mane, the scent of my horse and the field we were riding in and the smile that is permanently etched on my face while spending time with my Pep.

Life is good and I am so very fortunate to have all of these opportunities. I am of the opinion everyone would benefit by having a horse in their lives!

Cherish those small moments because in reality, they are truly BIG moments that you should hold close to your heart always!

1 comment:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a fabulous picture and story! Thanks for sharing!