Sunday, May 4, 2008

Georgia O'Keeffe


I've long been fascinated by Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings and life.

"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do." Georgia O'Keeffe.

Her paintings are enduring for me because they are a brief glimpse into how another person looked at the world, a moment where you could see through their eyes if you looked long and hard enough. This aspect is what usually draws me to art, the artists way of looking at the world. Art reminds me to keep my brain and my gaze engaged.

My favorite work of hers is Autumn Leaves, Lake George, NY-- a place near and dear to me not far from my own home near the Adirondack Mountains. It never ceases to amaze me how very different leaf paintings can be by different artists, even while leaves are one of the great distinguishing characteristics of the tree because of their uniformity.

No comments: